Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (Review)

Release date: September 27 2011

Publisher: Little, Brown, and Company

Number of pages: 417

My rating: 3.5/5

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was amazing. It was interesting, mysterious, and I couldn’t put it down.


And then Akiva showed up. Boring, plain, stupid Akiva.

The book pretty much died and fell out of the sky after that.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is about angels and demon. It’s definitely not your typical angel and demon story. It’s very different. I loved the idea of a wishmonger. The plot was pretty good, right up until the middle.

The characters were pretty great. I loved Karou, she was so interesting and awesome. I liked Zuzanna and Kaz, who was hilarious. The worst character by far was Akiva. Everyone else was so interesting, but he was so boring.

The best character by far was Brimstone. He was so interesting and mysterious. He had a soft side as well, and I loved Karou’s memories of him raising her. One of my favourite scenes in the book is when Karou describes her first memory of him.

Akiva seriously ruined the book for me. It got so boring and crappy after he showed up. I didn’t care for the romance between Akiva and Karou at all. It was very boring and bland. I would rather have had Karou and Kaz get together or something.

The world was amazing. This book was practically overflowing with imagination. Everything was creative and unlike anything I’ve ever read before. The ideas of the story were awesome. Laini Taylor’s mind must be a happy place. I could never ever ever imagine such an amazing and interesting world.

The writing is also amazing. Everything flowed really well.

Laini Taylor is definitely an author to watch out for.

This book is definitely worth a read, especially if you’re a fan of fantasy. The second half is pretty crappy, but you might like Akiva more than I did.

I will definitely be reading and reviewing the second book soon.

Comments

Popular Posts